Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Help your neighbors. Even those you have not met. Yet.
Disaster Action Teams provide 24-hour emergency response to various local disasters, most frequently home fires, ensuring that those affected have access to resources for basic disaster related necessities such as food, lodging and clothing. These teams assist the Red Cross in delivering its mission of alleviating human suffering caused by disasters.
Essentially our DAT volunteers respond to local disasters on an on-call basis. Once you are trained, you sign-up for on-call shifts (typically 4-6 hours/1-2 shifts per week.) If nothing happens during your shift, you go about your normal day. If an event does happen, the expectation is you would be available to respond, along with other members of your team. Most responses take 2-3 hours and there truly is no better feeling in the world knowing you helped when needed most. Of course, in the event of a large disaster (i.e. apartment building fire) we may call all team members. Also, with experience, we may ask if you are available to help with a national deployment.
To get involved and/or for more information, visit www.redcross.org/volunteer or contact us by clicking on the Express Interest button below.
What you will do:
- Focus on client services
- Interview clients to address their disaster-caused immediate needs, such as the need for lodging and food
- Conduct damage assessments of affected dwellings and determine habitability
- Complete forms related to service and provide referrals to other agencies
- In some instances, assist the family in their recovery planning
- Assist with medical and emotional needs (must meet specific criteria to be eligible)
- Take Red Cross online and classroom training
- 18 years or older
- Valid driver’s license or reliable transportation
- Flexible to respond to disasters on short notice (disasters happen 24/7 and we respond at all hours, day and night)
- Provide on-call schedule and can respond as a team, generally 2-3 people, within one hour of being called
While most of the situations you will respond to as a Disaster Action Team responder are small, bigger disasters do happen. The skills you’ve gained as a responder are applicable to large-scale events. This includes assisting in the operation of shelters/evacuation centers, performing disaster assessments, supporting mass feeding and distribution of emergency supplies.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: